Brain Fog, memory lapses we jokingly refer to as “senior moments”, age related dementia and Alzheimer’s. All of these are common in America; however, they are not “normal”. God made our bodies Wonderfully Well, it is the food-fuel and thought-fuel we are completely in control of that determine whether our brains thrive or slowly shrivel up and stop working.
Before we talk about foods that can HELP your brain let’s talk about the 3 worst foods for your brain:
1. Sugar. A 24 month Study done at the Department of Physiological Science, University of California at Los Angles reported that a high sugar diet reduces your ability to learn and think. Too much sugar actually reduces a chemical that allows you to form new memories…yikes! It also increases inflammation and depression. (1)
2. Non-Sugar Artificial Sweeteners. Think the pink, yellow and blue packets. These all fall in a category called “Neuro-toxins”. They affect your nervous system and your brain. Many of our My Busy Healthy Life participants report brain fog disappears when they get off the artificial sweeteners and the sugar. In a joint study between the University of Cambridge in the UK and the Université de Poitiers in France showed that rats, when given the choice between IV cocaine and oral saccharine chose saccharin because of the way it affects the brain. So you may actually be addicted to some of the non-sugar sweeteners.
“Animal studies suggest that artificial sweeteners may be addictive. In studies of rats who were exposed to cocaine, then given a choice between intravenous cocaine or oral saccharine, most chose saccharin” (2)
3. Hydrogenated Oils. Trans fats. Junk food fats. Processed fats. To be more specific. Potato chips, french fries, non-dairy coffee creamer, packaged baked goods, packaged lunch meats, packaged candies and ice cream…Get the idea? Dr. Gene Bowman of Oregon Health & Science University found:
“Bowman said that the most striking correlation found in the study was that people with high levels of trans fats in their blood had significantly worse cognitive performance and less total brain volume.” (3)
You can easily avoid all three of these anti-brain foods by replacing them with some real, God-Made foods.
Drew Ramsey, MD is assistant clinical professor at Columbia University in New York. His work focuses on using food to sharpen brain function and mental health. Dr. Ramsey’s top food choices for good brain function are:
Free Range Farm Fresh Eggs – the entire egg; not just the white. Ask yourself this question…why would God so intricately weave the yolk and white together if they were not to both be eaten. The people who told you to only eat the white were working from an old and unhealthy model of a fat free diet. The truth is your body desperately needs good fats from healthy sources. The fat in the egg yolk is necessary for your body to digest the protein in the white! Go figure…and the cholesterol in the yolk is vital for your body to produce all sorts of hormones that help you with stress, sexuality and even brain function. If you ask around you will likely find someone in your neighborhood or region who sells the eggs of chickens that are allowed to roam and eat bugs and grass rather than commercial feed. You’ll be amazed at the difference in taste, texture and appearance of a “real” chicken egg.
Raw Local Honey – Your brain needs sugar for fuel…that’s why you crave it. However, it needs food-based sugar…like honey…not refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup. Raw, unpasteurized honey from a local source will contain 181 molecules that are antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants. Just a few teaspoons of honey a day please.
Kale – This veggie used to be considered a winter ornamental plant or a garnish on your plate at a fancy restaurant but it’s actually the second most nutrient dense plant on the planet with just 1 cup yielding 134% of the RDA for Vitamin C, 684% of the RDA for Vitamin K and 206% of the RDA for Vitamin A. Wow, you say…is it safe to have such a high count of vitamins? The answer is a resounding YES!…IF the vitamins are coming from food…not supplements.
More Delicious Brain Food
Dr. Joseph Mercola, MD, a pioneer in natural health, lists some other foods that will help with brainpower. For Optimal Function Dr. Mercola suggests beneficial fats such as organic grass fed butter, olives and olive oil (used as a salad dressing or a dressing on veggies or pasta after it has been cooked). Dr. Mercola also recommends unrefined extra virgin coconut oil (the bottle will always have a green band), pecans, macadamia nuts, wild Alaskan salmon (not farmed) and avocados.
Dr. Mercola also suggests celery, broccoli and cauliflower combined with curry to calm brain inflammation, stimulate brain cell growth, boost memory and diminish age related decline. Yellow curry with turmeric, walnuts and garbanzo beans are also powerful brain food.
A Simple Tasty Brain Power Menu
Breakfast: Create a scramble with real farm fresh free-range eggs, chopped fresh kale, onion, mushroom and some chopped fresh tomato.
Lunch: How about adding some hummus made with chickpeas and some raw veggies such as carrots, celery and bell peppers to your normal lunch routine.
Afternoon Snack: A handful of walnuts or some fresh or frozen blueberries.
Dinner: Make a stir-fry with unrefined coconut oil (green label), raw kale, celery, broccoli, cauliflower and some onion and garlic. Sautee for about 2 minutes and add a Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice mixed with 1 or more teaspoons of yellow curry, if you want it creamy add a Tablespoon or two of full fat coconut milk (from the can) and allow it all to simmer for a few minutes. Serve with 4 ounces of Wild Alaskan Salmon and brown rice if you need a carbohydrate. To make it super healthy add a salad with fresh greens with some fresh cilantro, basil and parsley, colorful veggies and avocado, top your salad with a dressing of extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil and lemon juice.
For dessert, try our Coconut Almond Fudge recipe; it contains wild local honey and coconut oil! You can get the recipe here: http://thewellnessworkshop.org/coconut-almond-fudge/
See, giving your brain the food it needs to work well isn’t hard…it’s actually delicious!
Are You Ready For A Better Quality of Life?
My Busy Healthy Life participants report a significant improvement in all brain related issues within just a few weeks as they nourish their bodies and eliminate toxic build up.
For more information My Busy Healthy Life
I’m here to help you with your wellness goals. Email: email@example.com/ Phone: 615-975-0186/ Website: www.thewellnessworkshop.org
(4) The Happiness Diet (Rodale), 50 Shades of Kale by Dr. Drew Ramsey, MD
(5) Dr. Joseph Mercola, 9 Healthy Foods to Boost Brain Health, www.mercola.com