Raw Gingerbread Cookies
Raw Ginger Bread Cookies
Every fall my body whispers “Gingerbread…I want gingerbread…” This obsession is probably my great grandmother’s fault. Every year, late fall/early winter I would go to MeeMaws home to make Gingerbread men. I can still remember the wonderful fragrance of ginger, cinnamon and molasses filling her small home and the taste of the dough…which was my favorite.
These Raw Gingerbread Cookies answer my need for the flavors AND my love for gingerbread cookie dough, without tons of extra sugar and flour. Bonus! These Raw Gingerbread Cookies are mostly beneficial fats; almond butter and coconut oil. The cookie’s sweetness comes from raw dates and a splash of unsulphured, blackstrap molasses.
SCREEECH SOUND….what? You may say…don’t you know Molasses is a by-product of sugar? Aren’t we supposed to avoid sugar? Well, technically, yes. BUT…Molassess…you can’t have gingerbread without Molasses, it just ain’t happening! Did you know Molasses actually has health benefits? Get this…one of the benefits of Molasses is STRESS RELIEF! No WONDER we love it over the holiday season.
This is a cheesy but slightly informative and entertaining video on blackstrap molasses. You can purchase the Plantation brand many places, amazon, vita cost and even Walmart for under $7.00 in the US.
Enjoy these cookies, they benefit your brain, your nervous system and most of all your taste buds.
If you miss the aroma of baking gingerbread, you could try my 5 ingredient Chewy Flourless Ginger Bread Cookie .
If you are into essential oils, why not add a gingerbread type essential oil to your diffuser, make a cup of chai tea and relax!
BTW: These are also Keto friendly!
Raw Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 medium Medjool Dates, remove pits or 2 Tablespoons date paste
- 1 teaspoon Korjinte Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon Unsulphured Molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon real organic Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons finely shredded unsweetened coconut https://store.edwardandsons.com/collections/organic-coconut-products/products/organic-shredded-coconut
- Mix all together. Put all ingredients in at once and mix until it comes together. The more you mix almond butter the drier it becomes. The perfect consistency is when you are able to make it into a ball. If you over mix it will become crumbly. You can use a stand mixer with a paddle (easier) or mix by hand (muscles).
- Use a small cookie scoop or a Tablespoon and roll into balls.
- Roll the entire batch into a log, cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm. Then slice log into 8 slices.
- You can roll the balls in unsweetened shredded Coconut or finely chopped nuts.
- You can push the slices into coconut or finely chopped nuts.
- You could also add the coconut to the cookies rather than on the outside. If you don’t like coconut eliminate it!
- Make up a plate of slices and balls for your next holiday event. Make sure they are well chilled or frozen (better) because as they thaw they become soft. If it's an event where they will sit out you will have better results with the balls. Be sure and mark them as containing nut butter and coconut oil for anyone who may be allergic.