Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is one of my favorite fall dishes. Since I have to be completely gluten free I really miss the yummy combination of flavors and textures in “real” lasagna and other wheat based foods…this really scratches that itch. It’s warm (for winter), very flavorful and melts in your mouth. PLUS you can make a big pan cut it into serving sized pieces and freeze them. When you want lasagna it’s all ready. Just take it out and cook at 400 for about half an hour. Delish. Another advantage? It’s BEAUTIFUL and most people LOVE it…just don’t make a big deal about how healthy it is, ok?
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 medium large sized spaghetti squash washed
- 1 jar Organic Pasta Sauce We like Newman's or make your own
- 1 cup ofhomemade cream cheesemade intoherbed cream cheese or an organic one
- 1 cage free pastured egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan reggiano grated
- 1/2 cup raw monterey jack cheese grated
- 4 cups kale or swiss chard torn into pieces or use the baby versions
- 1 pound ground dark turkey
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 onion chopped
- Cook Spaghetti Squash by putting the whole squash into the oven at 350 degrees for about 2 hours or in a large crock pot on high for about 2 hours. The squash is cooked when you can stick a knife or fork through the skin and turn it easily. Remove from oven, allow to cool, cut in half and scoop out seeds...discard seeds.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the spaghetti squash into a colander and press and squeeze to eliminate excess moisture. Drain over sink or bowl while you are preparing the rest of the lasagna.
- Clean up your squash mess and wash your crockpot or pan before continuing on.
- Make Turkey Sausage by putting turkey in a pan over medium heat with 1 Tablespoon grape seed oil, add all the spices listed, put a lid on the turkey and let it cook with the spices, stirring to break it up occasionally. This will take about 10 minutes. Add chopped onion and continue cooking until onion is transparent.
- Add jar of organic pasta sauce and stir until blended and warm.
- Grate Cheeses, save 1/8 cup monterey jack and 1/8 cup parmesan reggiano for the top of the lasagna. Set aside.
- Combine egg, remainder of cheeses and herbed cream cheese, blend well.
- Tear up kale or swiss chard if it is whole. Set aside.
- Assemble Lasagna in a greased 9x13 pan in the following order.
- Thin layer of spaghetti squash
- Thin layer of kale or chard
- Thin layer of spaghetti sauce/turkey mixture
- Thin layer of egg/cheese mixture
- Repeat ending with the egg cheese mixture and top with remaining parmesan/monterey jack cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheeses are all melted.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
- Serve with a nice big salad. Yummy!
- Leftovers should be frozen in serving sizes. Reheat in an oven for 30 minutes.